HSS stands for High-Speed Steel. HSS Drill Bits are a form of tool steel that is highly resistant to heat. HSS drill bits can be used to drill almost anything ranging from metal, hardwood, and any other material. They work with great cutting speeds and are found widely in commercial applications.
These drill bits (HSS) are the most popular type of bits and are used in many occupations, from an electrician to basic television or alarm system installations.
Some other drill bit materials;
• Soft low carbon steel bits. These are used ONLY in wood and do require frequent sharpening.
• Cobalt steel alloys type of bits. These are used for extremely high temperatures and contain cobalt.
• Tungsten carbide plus other carbides are a tough material and are mostly used for the bit’s tips.
• Found in the automotive industry and the like, Polycrystalline diamond (PCD) is the hardest of all material and can be very costly when replacing.
More about HSS Drill Bits
Just as important as drill bit material is the coating of the bit. We find the following types of coating are used for most bits:
Black oxide coating sustains heat and keeps the bits lubricated, naturally resulting in a longer life for the bit itself. This is the most common coating.
Titanium nitride coating is tough ceramic and can be used to coast the HSS Drill bit. When this coating is used, it can extend the life of the drill bit by three times or more. The problem with this type of coating is that the drill bit will not be sharpened properly to leave the coating.
Titanium aluminum nitride is another coating that is often used. It is considered superior to Nitride coating, with the bit being extended five times or longer. This goes for Titanium carbon nitride coating, which is also found to be superior.
Next, we have diamond powder, an abrasive used for cutting stone, rock, and harder materials. Typically huge amounts of heat are generated, and the diamond-coated bits often have to be cooled by water to prevent damage.
Last and very common is the zirconium nitride found on most of the Craftsman drill bit and tools. You can find some good materials on drill bits here. Best Drill Bits.
Whatever the bit, or whatever the job, there is a drill bit made for the chore. We hope you find your HSS Drill bits needs and find the best bit for the job.
Read More: Best Drill Bits, Chainsaw Sharpeners, Pressure Washer Nozzles and, Zero Turn Lawn Mower.
- Deck Awnings with Mosquito Netting - December 10, 2022
- Retractable Side Awning for Patio - December 10, 2022
- Best Soldering Iron for Automotive Wiring - December 2, 2021